Baked Greek Lamb
Thanks to Dee Gullan for the Awesome Recipe!
- 1½kgs Karoo stewing lamb cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 red onions – cut into wedges
- 4 garlic cloves – peeled and cut in half
- 850g or 4 large potatoes - cut into large bite sized pieces (no need to peel them)
- 30g flat leaf parsley – roughly chopped
- 4 teaspoons of cumin seeds
- 6 ripe tomatoes - cut into thick slices
- 125ml water
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 180 Celsius
- Put the lamb, onion, potato and garlic, half the parsley and cumin seeds in large ovenproof dish.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper
- Mix through with your hands so that everything is coated with the oil
- Add the tomatoes on top in a single layer and season again with salt and pepper
- Drizzle with olive oil
- Add 125ml of water around sides of the dish
- Cover with foil and bake for 2 hours, tilting the dish from time to time and spooning the pan juices over the top
- After 2 hours the lamb should be tender and potatoes soft
- Remove the foil and increase temperature to 200 C
- Cook for another 35 minutes until the liquid has reduced and the meat and the potatoes are browned.
- Garnish with the remaining parsley
- Serve with a crispy green salad